Monday, November 14, 2005

Introduction to this blog

Football. The most watched sport in America, and probably the most closely scrutinized sport in America. In no other sport do you only have only 16 games to prove your worth as a team (and even fewer at the high school and college levels). In no other sport do you have so many people who all have a roll in contributing to your team's success. In no other sport do the coaches have as much influence on determining the outcome of a game as in football.

I am beginning this blog because I feel that there are many aspects of the game which are not covered by the major news outlets, and many angles that are not looked at. As I said in the first paragraph, offensive playcalling, defensive scheming, and game planning are all humongously important in football, and I do not think there is a sport in which the things done off the field have as large of an impact on what is done on the field. Now, this is only true to a point, because if you have defensive tackles who cannot clog the lanes, corners who cannot cover, or an o-line that cannot block, then what is done off the field is largely useless. However, I am of the opinion that in the NFL, all teams have the same skill level, to a point. Obviously the Texans have more problems than the Colts in terms of personnel; but, I feel that the gap is not sooo large that it cannot be overcome, or at least played down enough to make a game out of a meeting between the two. And any team can always improve their roster in the offseason.

Now, I am not likely to help out a team by being on their active roster for a game, but I figure I can at least make interesting comments about the coaching, and more specifically the playcalling and scheming that goes on during a game. Now, I will freely admit I am more or less the worst writer in the universe, but just know that my writing is meant to sound like it is spoken. Hopefully you can limp through it without exploding, and I promise I will try to make it as managable as possible (and yes, I imagine that my semicolon use in the previous paragraph has high school english teachers everywhere cringing... get used to it).

In this blog, I will also try to make some broad comments on various issues that swirl around this game, which always seems to be full of controversy. Hopefully this is an enjoyable read for everyone, and hopefully some of my posts make some people think, and I expect some responces to do the same for me. See you tomorrow with a look at the "risky calls" the last two weeks at the end of the Chiefs and Redskins games.

Kyle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home