Sunday, December 18, 2005

Ravens 2006

Here are my thoughts on the Ravens in 2006.

Draft:

Bad: Ravens get top three pick in draft, give up either:
A) All picks in this draft
B) 1st, 3rd round picks in 2006, 1st in 2007, 1st in 2008

Good: Ravens get #1 pick in draft, give up:
1st and 3rd round pick in 2005, some veteran (maybe Ray Lewis with all the problems he has caused in the locker room recently). I don't want Leinart. He has not impressed me at all, and I have watched quite a few USC games. Bush on the other hand has been amazing. But I don't think either side would do the above deal, so I'm sure I'm out of luck.

Also Good: Ravens keep their picks and draft mostly OL and Defense, with maybe some QB or RB in there too.

Positions:

QB: Kyle Boller has got to be the most frustrating person to root for. He obviously has the physical tools. His strike to Mark Clayton last week that must have gone at least 50 yards in the air, which he threw off his back foot was beautiful. The stories about his arm strength are pretty well known. But his two picks were awful, especially the one where he just randomly chucked it into the endzone. His decision making is almost comical at times. And I actually laughed at his fumble. This guy is just not cool or in control.

I would like to see him be a backup for a year or two, and then come back and try again. He is pretty cheap, so I would like to see the Ravens get a Veteran next year and then maybe come back with Boller in 2007 if he has improved. Steve McNair will probably be on the market, and same with Kerry Collins. These are both reasonable options. If the Vikings are desparate to move Culpepper I would certainly look into that, but I wouldn't really give much up for him.

RB: I was the #1 Jamal Lewis supporter all year, but his comments have really made me do a 180 on him. He has said that he is not running hard on purpose, he said that the Ravens have betrayed him, he is like a scourge in the locker room. I would not resign him. I think that the worst mistake that the Ravens could make is to Franchise him, because he is just not worth that kind of money to the Ravens. I think he still has some great years left, but just not with the Ravens.

I would sign Chester Taylor to a multi-year deal. Obviously getting Bush would be nice, but it won't happen. We would also need a bruiser. If Lendale White is available in the Second Round, I would like to grab him. He looks very impressive, and people seem to think he should be a decent pro. No word on where he would go exactly until he gets to the combine, but people seem to think he will be a late 1st round draft pick.

WR + TE: No issues here (first time in many many years where we can say that - two thumbs up to Mason and Clayton).

OL: Ack. Big issues. We need a Right Tackle, a Center (Mike Flynn is washed up), and a few good versitile guys. I am not thrilled with Vincent (the Right Guard), but we are locked up with him in a long term deal, so may as well stick with him. JO and EM only have about one more year of being above average I think, so we are going to need a total overhaul soon. Must sign/draft people.

Def: The Ravens need a stud Defensive Tackle, or two. I like Kelly Gregg, but honestly, he is a 280 pound defensive tackle. And Kemoeatu I think is even worse (despite being quite a bit larger). I feel like if we can get a stud tackle like Siragusa or Adams from the Super Bowl year that would help so much. You cannot run the ball against teams with guys like that.

Honestly, if I was the Ravens, I would play a 4-4. Chris McAlister is one of the most physical corners in football, and yet the Ravens play these coverages where he is 10 yards off the receiver all the time. I would jam the receivers and blitz way more. Adalius Thomas and Bart Scott both play in the secondary sometimes, and Ray Lewis is a great cover linebacker, when he is healthy, so I don't think this should be a problem. I would love to have our front four being Suggs, Gregg, Stud DT, Stud DE and our linebackers being Thomas, Lewis, Polley, Scott. Keep Weaver as a backup, and bring Boulware in to blitz, and I would be happy. If we can get two new Tackles that is all the better. I like the idea of having McAlister, Rolle, and Reed as the secondary.

For all the talk of the 46 at the beginning of the year and the exciting blitzes, we have not seen it at all. The defense has been a huge dissapointment. Hopefully we can get everyone healthy and actually do things like blitz next year.

The Ravens should have some cap room, so hopefully we can make some good things happen in the offseason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home